The Land Art Generator Initiative (LAGI) has launched the 2019 edition of its design competition that calls for landscape architects, artists and creative minds from around the world to submit proposals for clean energy-producing public artworks for a specific site. Themed ‘Return to the Source’, the site of the 2019 competition is Masdar City in Abu Dhabi.
Presented in partnership with the 24th World Energy Congress, indivduals and teams are asked to present their vision for what public art might look like within the public spaces of Masdar City. In addition to first and second prizes of $40,000 USD and $10,000 USD respectively, twenty-five shortlisted projects selected by the jury will be exhibited as part of the congress event.
The 2019 LAGI competition jury members are:
• H.E. Eng. Fatima Alfoora Alshamsi – assistant undersecretary for Electricity and Future Energy in the United Arab Emirates Ministry of Energy and Industry, and CEO of the 24th World Energy Congress Organizing Committee;
• Yousef Ahmed Baselaib – executive cirector Sustainable Real Estate, Masdar;
• Lukas Sokol – head, City Design and Sustainable Planning, Masdar
• Chris Wan – head of Design Management, Masdar
• Emily Doherty – director, The Christo and Jeanne-Claude Award
• Tim Mollette-Parks – landscape architect and associate principal, Mithun
• Zac Cirivello – operations manager of Fly Ranch, Burning Man Project
• Hala El Akl – director, PLP Architecture (UK)
• Raya Ani – founder and design director, RAW-NYC Architects
• Daniel Glaessl – design director, Gensler Silicon Valley
Previous sites for the LAGI competition have included Melbourne’s St Kilda Triangle in 2018, preceded by Dubai, New York, Copenhagen and Santa Monica. NH Architecture in collaboration with students from RMIT Architecture, Ark Resources and John Bahoric Design was named the winner of the 2018 competition with a proposal that wove solar, wind, plant fuel-cell energy harvesting and battery storage into the landscape of the St Kilda Foreshore.
Submission for the 2019 design competition close on 12 May 2019. For full details, head here.